So…You’re Considering Botox?
Ok, real talk- to Botox or not to Botox? If you are a first-timer, you may have questions, much like I did, is it painful? Will it make me look like my eyebrows are permanently arched? Will I look unnatural? How long does it last? Where on my face should I get Botox? Is there downtime? Will my friends/family notice? Will I look frozen?
Your basic questions can be answered here from someone who has been getting Botox in a preventative manner (think of it like insurance for future wrinkles!) for 3 years now.
Growing up I only saw Botox in the movies and saw people who looked like they had no emotions, couldn’t smile and always looked fake and plastic. This is NOT the case for all who get Botox. Botox can be a natural, non-invasive way to freeze and prevent future wrinkles in your skin.
I started getting Botox when I was 28 from our nurse, Nualla. Fast forward three years later and I can see a marvelous change in my skin. I am sure you are thinking, “28? Who needs Botox that young?” Starting YOUNGER means it will help to prevent future wrinkles! Now in my case, I am a brow-furrower, which means that I squint my eyes together when looking at my computer screen, talking on the phone or pretty much anytime when I am not realizing it. This means unsightly and permanent lines that will eventually be a deep crease in the area between my eyes. No thank you. So I began to get injected between the eyes and now I can hardly see any lines. I now get injections every 3 months. The results were showing about 10 days after my very first set of injections and have stayed put ever since with the continuous use of Botox. I also have recently started getting the forehead injected as well to help with forehead wrinkles that happen when you raise your eyebrows.
Questions? Here are answers!
- Do Botox injections hurt?
- There is a little prick of a needle and a weird sensation when the Botox is being injected, but nowhere near as bad as bumping your funny bone or stubbing your toe, in other words, it’s very tolerable!
- Does it make my eyebrows look permanently arched?
- Your doctor or nurse should go over your areas of concern prior to being injected to get a feel for what you are looking for and to ensure you make your wants clear. Newman and his staff pride themselves on a natural approach by not overdoing it and encouraging a follow up appointment after the Botox injections to make sure everything looks good.
- How long does it last?
- The injections themselves last about 3 months. After steadily getting Botox every 3 months for about a year, you will that your lines take longer to return. Doing Botox every once in a while allows your muscles to regain the same strength they had prior to any injections, however, if you do Botox every 3 months your muscles do not have time to develop the same strength and your Botox will last longer! 3 visits a year is generally what is necessary, and this would of course be based on your consults with your doctor or nurse.
- Where on my face should I get injected?
- Ultimately this decision is up to you and your doctor or nurse. But have a look at photos of yourself or look at your expressions in the mirror, are you a furrower like me? Do you lift your eyebrows every time you smile? Do you squint your eyes often? All these are wrinkled areas that can be addressed by Botox injections!
- Is there downtime?
- Immediately after the injections you may have a little redness and small bumps in the injection area that may last a couple of hours. Some very mild bruising is also possible, butthis can be covered with a little makeup. Also, keep in mind that you don’t want to lay down for at least a couple of hours after and that your results may take up to 10 days to fully kick in.
- Will my friends and family notice?
- Simple answer, no, unless you freely share this information no one will notice as there will be no drastic change, but you will look better!
All this being said… look how easy it is to PREVENT wrinkles, or to start evening them out even if you aren’t my age! It’s never too late to start. If you are interested in learning more, cost, and how to book an appointment, call us! 310-273-3344
Here is me, before and after Botox- I feel that I still look natural, but I am preventing those wrinkles and creases from happening between my eyes! Want to see more before and after photos of our Botox patients? Go here!
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this blog are for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this blog.